Getting Over a Long Term Relationship




Because I personally think this is a very important topic and I know that I would love to of read something like this when I broke up with my long term boyfriend, I thought I would do this post :) I understand that every break up is different and these tips might not work for everybody or be very useful but if you are really struggling to move on from a certain someone and are willing to try anything then try this!

Delete all contact
Ok so I have learnt that keeping contact with an ex is never a particularly good move especially when the break up is fresh. I would also like to point out that I do believe that when both parties in a break up have moved on, it is ok to be friends! If you stay in contact with an ex then you are either making it harder for yourself or making it harder for them and that is never good and makes things difficult to move on from.

Remove all reminders of them from your life
This is things like songs from your iPod, pictures of you and your ex together or presents they may have got you. I'm not saying start a bonfire and burn all evidence of being with them or get rid of everything for good but maybe box it all up and put it in an attic or cupboard until you feel you can look at them without going crazy.

Do things you couldn't do while being with them
I don't mean join a weird cult or start chain smoking but if there were any restrictions that your ex had on you, you might not of seen your friends as much while you were with them or time you spent with them may have taken over hobbies or interests you use to love, so start doing these things again.

Don't lose control
Self control is something that I find really hard to gather when I am feeling fragile or emotional but it is something that will help the process A LOT. I'm not saying that you shouldn't cry or show emotion because I actually think you should do that but try to keep a level head and look forward instead of concentrating on the if, buts and maybes.

Spend more time with friends/Make new friends
This is the perfect opportunity to get yourself back out there, make sure your friends now how you are feeling about your break up so they can be supportive (If you have lovely friends) As well as making sure you are spending more time with your current friends, make time for new friends too, I've found some of my best friends through break ups.

Keep busy
Make sure you have plans and don't completely shut your social life away. Having something to look forward to and concentrate on is great when you are struggling with something like a break up. Have as much fun as you possibly can because when you are having fun you find that you stop thinking so much about your ex.

Don't Facebook stalk and ask his/her friends how they are
I think Facebook stalking is one of the worst things to do when breaking up with someone because sometimes you can miss read signals and find things out you wish you didn't know. That also goes with talking to their friends about how they are because you also might find out information that you didn't want to know.

Feel good about yourself
Do something that makes you feel good, I know personally that when I'm feeling down I will buy myself a gorgeous new outfit or treat myself to getting my nails done, something that makes me feel good. You may not be as vain as myself and might opt to get really fit and take up running or help out at a local charity, anything that you enjoy doing.

Try not to spend a lot of time alone
When you spend time alone, it gives you time to dwell on things and a time to think things over which isn't always the best thing to do and could end up making you upset. Sometimes you can't help being alone as you can't have sleepovers all the time or spend every waking minute with other people but try to spend less time alone and more time in other people's company.

Talk about it
Ok so don't constantly go on about it because that will not help and it will end up annoying your friends and family but at the same time, don't bottle everything up. If you are feeling down, tell somebody! Whether it's a family member, a friend or your blog, vocalise your feelings and this will help people support you and understand exactly what you are feeling.

Like I said, I'm not expecting this to help everyone and I definitely don't think this is the way to 100% get over someone but it does help and has helped me. If this helps you out also then that is super dooper and if not my apologies. Lots of love,



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Beautiful Followers